Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook 5, xinclude and xpointer

xpointer specification came never to a clear final status. XXE itself
uses an enhanced xp parser to handle xpointer and the only other tool I
know of that is able to handle xpointer to this extend is xmllint/xsltproc.

So I let xsltproc/xmllint do the job of preprocessing the main file for
resolving the xincludes.

    xmllint.exe --version --timing --postvalid  --recover  --xinclude -o
main-doc_resolved.xml main-doc.xml 2> error_val.log

Postvalidation is important (it switches to validate the document only
after resolving is done)!

If further more you make use of profiling, you should switch to a
2-stage preprocessing scenario, because a pre-profiled document is
likely not to validate:

   1. resolve xincludes and profile (profiling with xsltproc is very fast)
   2. validate the resolved and profiled document

1:    xsltproc.exe --version --timing --novalid --xinclude --output
main-doc_profiled_resolved.xml profile.xsl main-doc.xml 2> error_prof.log
2:    xmllint.exe --version --timing --recover --noout
main-doc_profiled_resolved.xml 2> error_val.log

I guess many of us are looking forward to XProc, which targets exactly
these issues.

Hope you understand my approach,
Georges