Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] imageobject / ?imagedata? / pure svg tags

Thanks for pointing out this problem.  First, let me ask if you are using
DocBook4 or 5.

In DocBook 4, putting SVG code inline is valid only if you use the DocBook
DTD with the SVG module [1] as described in the DocBook SVG specification
[2].  However, that module never went past the stage of Draft 1.1CR1, 27
July 2004.  I'm not sure if that was an oversight or what.  In any case, in
the DocBook 4 SVG module, the SVG code is entered as <svg:svg> and appears
as a child of imageobject, in place of imagedata.  Since DTDs don't support
namespaces, entering it as <svg xmlns=...> is not valid in DocBook 4.

In DocBook 5, support for the SVG namespace is included, but as content in
the imagedata element instead of in the imageobject element.  Your first
example looks like DocBook 5 syntax since you use the xmlns attribute.

As far as the stylesheets go, it appears we have an incomplete
implementation.  The non-namespaced stylesheets should support svg:svg
inside imageobject, and the namespaced stylesheets should support elements
in the SVG namespace inside imagedata.

If you don't mind, please file a bug report on the DocBook SourceForge site
to get this muddle fixed.

[1] http://www.docbook.org/xml/svg/1.1CR1/dbsvg.dtd
[2] http://www.docbook.org/specs/wd-docbook-svg-1.1CR1.html#bib.docbook43