Subject: Re: [docbook] Formatting in index

[Moving this over to the docbook-apps mailing list where formatting topics
are discussed]

It's possible to do that, but it isn't as easy as it should be.

If you create an indexterm like this;

you will find that the templates that generate the index don't retain the
formatting.  That's because in fo/autoidx.xsl, in the template:

<xsl:template match="indexterm" mode="index-primary">

There is this line that outputs the text of the indexterm:

    <xsl:value-of select="primary"/>

When you use xsl:value-of on an element, it returns only the text nodes, no
formatting.  I believe this was done by design so the index has a uniform
look of plain text.  However, it creates other problems, like not retaining
superscript and subscript in indexterms.

So to get what you want, you would need to copy that template to your
customization layer and replace that line with:

   <xsl:apply-templates select="primary"/>

That would wrap the text for the index in an fo:inline with format
properties.  Same with "index-secondary" processing the "secondary" element
and "index-tertiary" for "tertiary" elements.

This kind of customization would be easier if the stylesheets modularized
that bit of code into a separate template rather than burying it in the
middle of a long complex template that you have to copy.