Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] print customization without title page?

This problem is caused by the template with match="book" in fo/division.xsl:

<xsl:template match="book">
  <xsl:variable name="id">
    <xsl:call-template name="object.id"/>
  </xsl:variable>

  <xsl:variable name="preamble"
                select="title|subtitle|titleabbrev|bookinfo|info"/>

  <xsl:variable name="content"
                select="node()[not(self::title or self::subtitle
                            or self::titleabbrev
                            or self::info
                            or self::bookinfo)]"/>

  <xsl:variable name="titlepage-master-reference">
    <xsl:call-template name="select.pagemaster">
      <xsl:with-param name="pageclass" select="'titlepage'"/>
    </xsl:call-template>
  </xsl:variable>

  <xsl:call-template name="front.cover"/>

  <xsl:if test="$preamble">
    <xsl:call-template name="page.sequence">
      <xsl:with-param name="master-reference"
                      select="$titlepage-master-reference"/>
      <xsl:with-param name="content">
        <fo:block id="{$id}">
          <xsl:call-template name="book.titlepage"/>
        </fo:block>
      </xsl:with-param>
    </xsl:call-template>
  </xsl:if>

  <xsl:apply-templates select="dedication" mode="dedication"/>

  <xsl:call-template name="make.book.tocs"/>

  <xsl:apply-templates select="$content"/>

  <xsl:call-template name="back.cover"/>

</xsl:template>

The template creates a variable named "preamble" that tests for the
existance of any elements that would appear on a title page.  If there are
such elements, it makes a page-sequence and processes them.

However, with your customization, the "book.titlepage" template outputs
nothing, resulting in this FO output:

    <fo:flow flow-name="xsl-region-body">
      <fo:block id="bobsbook"/>
    </fo:flow>

In Antenna House, this empty block is enough to generate the empty page (not
so in XEP).

So I would suggest that you copy this template to your customization layer,
and define a new stylesheet parameter to control this page-sequence, rather
than using the "preamble" variable.  Then you don't need to modify the
titlepage spec file at all.  You can turn the titlepages on or off with the
parameter.