Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] An informaltable that chokes FOP

Title: Re: [docbook-apps] An informaltable that chokes FOP
The processor extension parameters can serve two functions: they can enable extension features provided by a processor, or they can compensate for a processor's lack of conformance to the standard.  With fop, the parameter is used almost entirely for the latter purpose, because FOP isn't finished yet.  The xep.extensions and axf.extensions parameters, on the other hand, add new features in their respective namespaces and don't do much compensation stuff because those processors are highly conformant to the standard.  All of the extension parameters are used to provide PDF bookmarks, because that feature was not standardized in XSL-FO 1.0 so each processor used their own extension elements.

Using multiple extension parameters at the same time invites unpredictable behavior.  At the least you will get more than one set of bookmarks which may choke the processor (or maybe not).  I'm pretty sure the fop.extension and fop1.extension are not compatible together.  They were not intended to be used that way, and are not tested in that manner.  It may work, or it may not, but I don't recommend it.

Since these are parameters, they can be set on the command line.  I generally leave them out of my customization layers so I can set one using a Makefile target or Ant task.  Different tasks use the same stylesheet but different extension parameters to generate an FO file, and each task can then apply the appropriate XSL-FO process after generating the FO file.

Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2008 7:16 PM

Thanks yet again, I don't use FOP much, but I always use DB5; but I must add in in fop1 rather than fop - just in case.  Can't we get rid of all these extensions and just have a standard?  Isn't that what interoperability is all about?
QUERY: what happens if we add in both extensions?  Can we then use any?  And what about other transformers?
Bob: what is the best thing to do?
Ron

Thanks, that did it.

Ron, fop.extensions didn't; I assume because I'm using DB5 and need fop1.extensions instead.

Lesson learned: turn on the processor extensions whether I think I'm using them or not. XEP has shown no symptom of needing them, but I'll keep them enabled.

Reflection: developing against two processors keeps turning up issues that the tolerance of one would leave as a trap for me later. Annoyingly slow, but probably, like keeping my HTML markup valid, worth the trouble.

SJT