Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] CV/Resume in DocBook?

Quoting Jochen Hayek <Jochen+oasis-open@Hayek.name>:

> Right, Markus's PDF from his customized stylesheets looks nicer than
> the non-customized ones.
> But then: Markus's work is not really public, as far as I am aware of.
> Again: this is not to offend anybody.

This is correct. When I started using xmlresume I noticed that there
was no active development, so I added or changed whatever I needed and
didn't bother to get those modifications integrated upstream. You
should also keep in mind that a project like xmlresume is hard to
maintain in general as everyone's interest wanes significantly as soon
as they have a new position. That said (and being in a new position
for the next three years...) I'll be happy to provide my modifications
to anyone who wants to maintain (or just have) them.

> I personally use "Content-Type: text/enriched"
> (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enriched_text>)
> for the gap between DocBook files and flat text files,
> and I edit that kind of documents using emacs,
> which has a dedicated mode for that.
> emacs creates PostScript for those documents,
> and "ps2pdf" helps me rendering PDF files from that.
> Of course, the output looks rather poor,
> but it's good enough for what I use it for.

Another excellent sub-DocBook markup is provided by Emacs Muse
(http://mwolson.org/projects/EmacsMuse.html). It uses a Wiki-like
syntax and provides backends to create HTML, DocBook, and LaTeX (among
others). Printed HTML is often good enough, while DocBook and LaTeX
output provide paths to more sophisticated printable output.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka