Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Specify XHTML "<a title=..." in "<ulink ..."?

"W. Martin Borgert" <debacle@debian.org>, 2008-10-06 15:04 +0200:

> unfortunately this is hard to search for in internet search
> engines: Is there a way to specify something in a ulink that
> creates a title for an XHTML <a> element with the DocBook XSL
> stylesheets? I did not find anything in xhtml/xref.xsl. I'm
> still using DocBook 4.5 with stylesheets 1.73.2.

As far as I can see from looking at the code, the stylesheets seem
to support generating @title output from two forms of markup:

  - an <alt> child on any element -- e.g.,
    template in html/inline.xsl file)

  - an xlink:title on any linked element, which basically means
    any element that has an xlink:href attribute --
    e.g., <link xlink:href=... xlink:title=...> (see the
    match="*" mode="html.title.attribute" template in the
    html/html.xsl file)

Documentation on xlink:href and xlink:title and the other linking
attributes is here:

  http://docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/ref-elements.html#common.linking.attributes

If your source document is an un-namespaced DocBook 4 document,
you can't use xlink:href or xlink:title, but you can use
but that doesn't need to prevent you from using it. The
stylesheets themselves are agnostic about validity.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/