Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: Docbook with Math ML/Latex => PDF

Justus-bulk@Piater.name wrote:
> Hi Dave -
>
> To continue along the lines of our previous thread, let's make one
> point clear: I think docbook already does all it can to "support"
> MathML, through grammar extensions and stylesheets.
>
> The problem is exterior to docbook:
> - most importantly in efficient manual entry of MathML,

My view.
   What editor you use is your choice.
   I'll defend emacs till the cows come home

Still nothing to do with xml (docbook) processing?

> - and to some extent in downstream processing/rendering.

I'm not apportioning blame, just trying to support current (and
previous) mathml users.

> In the free software world, the latter, for my needs, is largely
> solved thanks to the Mozilla browsers and FOP with JEuclid.

Yep... partly.
   I'd rather leave it to users?
   If you want full (sexy) mathml support, you need to buy .....
   seems, IMHO, a fair response (until fop|Eeuclid finishes mathml support)

> The former might be addressed e.g. by XML editors equipped with a
> graphical formula editor, or - better for my needs - a preprocessor
> that converts shorthand (e.g. LaTeX or similar) notation into MathML,
> producing a valid DocBook + MathML XML document.

No comment.
   Generating blocks of mathml is ... hard. Agreed.
   Not a docbook issue IMHO

regards

--
Dave Pawson