Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] sidebar spans?

If you tried to use an fo:float, you could probably get its block-container
to span the page width, but the text in the body won't flow around it.  As
far as I know, the only way to get two-column text to flow around something
in XSL-FO is to use a span="all" attribute on an ordinary fo:block in the
flow, not in a float.

I did a little experiment and put this is my file.  It is a one-cell table
that has a pgwide="1" attribute.

<informaltable pgwide="1">
<tgroup cols="1">
<tbody>
<row>
<entry>
This is some text inside an informalfigure that does not
look like a sidebar but which could be considered a sidebar to
see where it might go.
</entry>
</row>
</tbody>
</tgroup>
</informaltable>

Then my customization layer has:

<xsl:attribute-set name="pgwide.properties">
  <xsl:attribute name="span">all</xsl:attribute>
</xsl:attribute-set>

The text in the table cell spanned across the page, and the body text flows
around it.  The body flow is perhaps not what you expect, though.  When the
flow reaches the spanned block, it restarts at the top of the page in the
second column.  Once that fills out above the span, it resumes under the
span in the first column, and last filling out the second column below the
span.