Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] XSL Stylesheet in XHTML

Thanks Bob !

That worked great.

In a message dated 10/31/2008 11:21:56 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, bobs@sagehill.net writes:
Most likely you are chunking and running into the issue of import precedence.  The chunking templates use xsl:import, and you are introducing another layer of import precedence and it isn't working right.

But there is a relatively new hook for doing what you want.  The user.preroot placeholder template is executed before <html> and could be used for your purposes.  Search for 'user.preroot' in:

Add something like this to your customization:

<xsl:template name="user.preroot">
  <xsl:processing-instruction name="xml-stylesheet">
     <xsl:text>type="text/xsl" href="mathml.xsl"</xsl:text>
  </xsl:processing-instruction>
</xsl:template>

Sent: Friday, October 31, 2008 11:10 AM
Subject: [docbook-apps] XSL Stylesheet in XHTML

Hello all,

I am trying to add an XSL stylesheet to the top of my XHTML output - like so:

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="mathml.xsl"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
. . . .

I have looked through the archives and found the same issue expressed a few years ago. The answer was to add a template to the customization layer that inserted the line.

<xsl:template match="/">
  <xsl:processing-instruction name="xml-stylesheet">
   <xsl:text>type="text/xsl" href="mathml.xsl"</xsl:text>
  </xsl:processing-instruction>
  <xsl:apply-imports/>
</xsl:template>

Looked simple enough, so I added it to my customization layer. However, it ran as usual but the first two lines showed up on the console and the output file did not include the XSL stylesheet line.

I usually use XSLTPROC which had the console output anomaly but I also ran it with Saxon 6.5.5 which had similar problems (but did not output the lines to the console).

This is a bit puzzling. Did I do it incorrectly or is there another way to do that?

Thanks

Dean Nelson