Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Sidebar height

Dear all,

Hallo Dave,

Thank you very much for your answer.

You said xsl-fo maybe can solve my problem. Could you please give me some advice? I have no idea what code I need to write. I do not know xsl-fo very well.

Thank you!!

At the very end of this mail there is "myDocbook.xml" for testing.

Lily

My book is “double.sided”. What I want looks like this:

Paragraph one. Here is the normal text	 Motivation
about Motivation. Beside this paragraph
 is one sidebar with texts.

Paragraph two. Here are other normal
texts about Motivation. These texts do
not have sidebars with texts. But there
should be white spaces on the right
side.The white spaces are as wide as
the sidebars.

Paragraph three. there are some white
spaces on the right side.

Paragraph four: This paragraph is about	 Activity
activity.

Paragraph five: Another paragraph
aboutactivity. There are some white
spaces on the right side. The white
spaces are as wide as the sidebars.

Paragraph six: A paragraph about result. 	 Result

Paragraph seven: Another paragraph
About result.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 13:49:55 +0000
> Von: Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk>
> An: Lily Galle <lily.galle@gmx.net>
> Betreff: Re: [docbook-apps] Sidebar height

> Lily Galle wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > I use XEP. My book is double-sided.
> >
> > I use sidebar:
> >    <?dbfo sidebar-width="1.2in"?><?dbfo float-type="outside"?>
> >
> > For example: “Motivation”, “Activity” and “Result” are the
> Text in sidebars. I would like to have the following layout in the whole
> book:
> >
> > Paragraph 1: about motivation.    	Motivation
> >
> > Paragraph 2: about motivation.
> >
> > Paragraph 3: about motivation
> >

> > Paragraph 4: about activity.		 Activity
> >
> > Paragraph 5: about activity.
> >

> > Paragraph 6: about Result.	       Result
> >
> > Paragraph 7: about Result.
> >

> > The Problem is: Every sidebar should have different height. I have to
> adjust every sidebar height to the height of the paragraphs. I do it with
> <literallayout> </literallayout>. If the sidebar heights are not well
> adjusted, then the “paragraph Texts” appear in the sidebar region and the
> layout is no more pretty.
> >
> > If the book has 200 pages, then I have to write many <literallayout>
> </literallayout>.
> >
> > I would like the following very much: the height of the sidebar can be
> adjusted automatically to the height of the Paragraphs. How can I manage
> this?
>

> I'm curious why you are using docbook at all Lily?
> Why not write in xsl-fo then you can get the fully styled output you
> seem to want?
>
> regards

myDocBook.xml for testing:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<book version="5.0" xml:lang="de"
xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; >

<title>The Big Book Title</title>
  <chapter>
       <title>  Chapter 1 Title</title>
       <sidebar>   <?dbfo float-type="outside"?>
              <para>first sidebar text. </para>
       </sidebar>

       <para>Paragraph one. Here is the normal text.
                 Beside this paragraph is one sidebar with texts.
       </para>
       <para>Paragraph two. Here are other normal texts.
                 These normal texts should not appear in the sidebar region.
                  But they did.
      </para>
      <para>
              Paragraph three. Normal texts again.
              But they intrude in the sidebar region. It is not what I want.
      </para>
   </chapter>
 </book>

--
Sensationsangebot verlängert: GMX FreeDSL - Telefonanschluss + DSL
für nur 16,37 Euro/mtl.!* http://dsl.gmx.de/?ac=OM.AD.PD003K1308T4569a