Subject: documenting code

I've seen Norm using docbook to tangle and weave XML.
I'm wondering how well docbook would work for code?

I have a mixed bag of bash scripts, Python code and xslt.
I want to keep it up to date and documented.

I'm thinking about taking the working code (today)
and embedding it in docbook.

Easy enough to pull the various files out of it
(all d:programlisting in one file/chapter/sect1 etc).

Anyone ideas on versioning, should that become an issue?
use the version of the wrapper?

Does this approach seem reasonable?

regards

--