Subject: Re: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook 5 and olink - again]

Olinking does require some careful setup to work, but many people are using
it.

Regarding the use of link, if you want automatic cross reference text, have
you tried using the xref element?  It is an empty element, whereas link
always takes content.

The advantage of using olink in a modular document is that you can edit each
chapter and not get validation errors when there are link or xref elements
that point to a different chapter (where the id resides in another file).
The link and xrefs are resolved only when the document is assembled.  If you
don't mind those validation errors during chapter editing, then link and
xref should work fine.

From: "Dave Martin" <dave.martin@fairviewresearch.com>
To: <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>
Sent: Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:48 PM
Subject: [Fwd: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook 5 and olink - again]

Hi,

I'm a DocBook newbie, also trying to link to docs that have been
XIncluded using Oxygen.

I tried the Olink stuff without much success, so after some tinkering I
used this command:

<link linkend="unzip">unzip</link>

In the target file that I want to link to I added an ID:

<section xml:id="unzip">

When I transform using the standard Docbook PDF it seems to do the right
thing. I have one PDF document, composed of all my XIncluded files. The
hot links redirect to a the correct section of the document. I did not
try HTML.

No need for olinkdb.xml, target.db etc. that I can see.  The only
weirdness is that I must put content in the <link> element, I can't get
it to find the "hot" text in the target document.

This is so easy that I figure I must be doing something wrong. If anyone
can set me straight I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Dave