Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] slides: how to balance presentation and content

Jirka Kosek wrote:
> Justus-bulk@Piater.name wrote:
>
>> Of course, this is a brutal departure from the XML principle of
>> separation of content from presentation, but as I argued in an earlier
>> posting, to me the advantages of (ab)using DocBook for presentations
>> weigh far heavier than purity of principle.
>
> Sorry for stepping-in, but to me it seems that you might try to have a
> look ODF and OOXML and see how they describe presentation slides. It
> seems that your requirements are so presentational and layout driven
> that it simply doesn't nicely fit into DocBook principles.

Fair point Jirka.
   I'd like to focus on markup and then make that call later,
when we have something to judge? I'd agree if the result
is so close to xsl-fo as to make it silly, but slides seems
to be a very gray area between semantics and presentation.
I'd like to take it further, whilst steering very clear of
S5 and other presentations. If S5 can make use of extra markup
then that seems worth looking at, even if it is rejected later
for the reasons you say.

regards

--
Dave Pawson