Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] slides: how to balance presentation and content

Justus-bulk@Piater.name wrote:
> Stefan Seefeld <seefeld@sympatico.ca> wrote on Thu, 22 Jan 2009
> 10:48:05 -0500:
>

>> Justus-bulk@Piater.name wrote:
>>

>>> I don't need to switch slide masters half-way through a
>>> presentation; do you?
>>>
>> Yes.
>>

> Oh. Really? Like, change the title font, slide background color, slide
> number position?

No, but switch to a different layout. (Example: use a two-column layout
in general, but switch to one-column layout for a particular slide
containing a big graph. Etc.).

Now this gives me a good opportunity to demonstrate the usefulness of
this: the topic of table abuse has come up in this thread. So far,
whenever I want to display two images next to each other, the only way
to achieve this is by stuffing them into a table. Being able to wrap
both into a two-column layout slide makes the use of tables obsolete.

> In that case, why not add a "master" attribute to <foil> after all,
> which could trigger a different page-master for FO output.

See, that's exactly what I have been proposing all along. ;-)

> Referring to the issues cited below, after thinking about it, I think
> *contain* layout or style definitions, which is of course not the
> case. One might use a "layout" or "style" attribute instead of "name"
> to make its function explicit.

Yes, but such an attribute name would convey specific semantics, when
all I want is identify the block so I can attach semantics (such as
styling) externally (via CSS, for example).

Thanks,
       Stefan