Subject: Is it possible to include markup in a general entity?

Clearly, I am not as bright as I think; equally clearly, my Google skills are not what they ought to be as I cannot find the answer to this question.

I want to take advantage of general entities to minimize my typing, so I have been experimenting a bit. When I have an entity that contains just straight text, the entity expands just fine. When I have an entity that contains markup, e.g. <emphasis>administrative code</emphasis>, my attempt to create an fo file from my xml sources using xsltproc returns the following:

Making portrait pages on USletter paper (8.5inx11in)
Element emphasis in namespace '' encountered in para, but no template matches.

I have no doubt missed something obvious, but can't seem to put my finger on it. So, *can* I have markup in a general entity that I wish to expand? Thanks for your help; don't laugh too hard. :)

I have the following DocBook document:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE book [
<!ENTITY % manualent SYSTEM "manualentities.ent">
%manualent;
]>
<book xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";
      xml:lang="en">
<info>
<title>Rulewriting manual for Utah</title>

<abstract>
<para>Style guidelines for rules to be included in the &ac;</para>
</abstract>
</info>

<xi:include
    xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";
    href="part-style.xml" />

</book>

I have the associate entities file, manualentities.ent:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<!ENTITY ac "<emphasis>administrative code</emphasis>">
<!ENTITY uc "Utah Code">

I use xsltproc with the following command line to create an fo file:

xsltproc --xinclude --output manual.xml.fo ..\customxsl\customxsl-fo.xsl manual.xml

My customxsl-fo.xsl file contains:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<xsl:stylesheet
    xmlns:fo="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Format";
    version="1.0">

<!-- Import stock DocBook stylesheets -->
<xsl:import href="../dbxsl/fo/docbook.xsl"/>

<!-- Set XEP extensions -->
<xsl:param name="xep.extensions" select="1" />

<!-- Customizations -->
<!-- Inner and outer page margins -->
<xsl:param name="page.margin.inner">1.5in</xsl:param>
<xsl:param name="page.margin.outer">1in</xsl:param>

<!-- Section and subsection headings -->
<xsl:param name="body.start.indent">0pc</xsl:param>

</xsl:stylesheet>

Mike Broschinsky
Administrative Code Editor
Utah State Division of Administrative Rules
801-538-3003
mbroschi@utah.gov

Because of the governor's "Working 4 Utah" initiative, office hours for the Division of Administrative Rules are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., Monday through Thursday. The Division is closed on Friday.