Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] variablelist, delleting blank line

Hi,
The varlistentry template (in fo/lists.xsl) uses the attribute-set named
'list.item.spacing' to set that space.  If you set the three attribute
values to 0em, though, it will also affect orderedlist and itemizedlist
items.  If you don't want that side effect, then you can customize the
attribute values with an xsl:choose for each attribute as follows:

<xsl:attribute-set name="list.item.spacing">
  <xsl:attribute name="space-before.optimum">
    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="ancestor::variablelist">0em</xsl:when>
      <xsl:otherwise>1em</xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>
  </xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="space-before.minimum">
    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="ancestor::variablelist">0em</xsl:when>
      <xsl:otherwise>1em</xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>
  </xsl:attribute>
  <xsl:attribute name="space-before.maximum">
    <xsl:choose>
      <xsl:when test="ancestor::variablelist">0em</xsl:when>
      <xsl:otherwise>1em</xsl:otherwise>
    </xsl:choose>
  </xsl:attribute>
</xsl:attribute-set>

You might need to be more careful than ancestor::variablelist, however,
because it will also affect such itemizedlists and orderedlists nested
inside a variablelist.  Using parent::variablelist would be more specific.