Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Docbook workshop syllabi?

Karen Schneider wrote:
> Has anyone developed a half-day workshop or one-or-two-hour webinar on
> Docbook?
>
> I work with a software project that is considering a proposal to adopt
> Docbook for its documentation needs. It has been suggested that a
> workshop might help build buy-in and bring more people into the
> native-XML-production fold (versus producing documentation on the wiki
> or in Word, the two formats now used for our project). Some of the
> topics considered for this workshop/webinar include demonstrating the
> use of core elements in a model chapter, using communications devices
> such as tips and callouts, and possibly even advanced topics such as
> interacting with subversion, automating the transformation to multiple
> formats, etc.
>
> The goals would be that participants would walk away from the workshop
> more familiar and comfortable with Docbook, and with a nice sample
> template in hand for those interested in making contributions.

I've recently joined the DITA mailing list.
The number of DITA workshops seems quite significant.

We have the expertise on this list.

1. Has it been done at all?
I know ndw has done 'overviews' and such like, but I don't recall
any Docbook workshops, Eu or US.

2. Has anyone presented such a workshop *and* prepared to donate
the material to Docbook?

Karens goal seems quite modest.

 > The goals would be that participants would walk away from the workshop
 > more familiar and comfortable with Docbook, and with a nice sample
 > template in hand for .....

[Customizing Docbook output?]
[Modifying the Docbook Schema]

 >those interested in making contributions.

Not sure what that last part means Karen?

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.