Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] ANNOUNCE: DocBook XSL-NS Stylesheets 1.74.2 released

On Fri, Feb 20 2009 13:29:40 +0000, abdelazer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 2:46 AM, DavePawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote:
>> If only commercial software vendors were as responsive as this!
>
> Unfortunately, I think praise isn't warranted here. Commercial
> software vendors would not have had this problem because they use
> proper release management techniques and have automated tools to
> ensure their software releases work on all supported platforms.

There are many open source tools available for testing, as you well
know.  Even the FO processing can be tested [2].  I don't know of any
open source continuous-integration tools, but they probably exist, and
at least one of the commercial tools is free for open source [1].

> DocBook-XSL does not have these resources and instead relies (perhaps
> too heavily) on the community to test the (current set of) releases,
> especially as the community grows and the pool of developer time
> shrinks.

Sadly, I can't help with the pool of developer time.

Regards,

Tony Graham                         Tony.Graham@MenteithConsulting.com
Director                                  W3C XSL FO SG Invited Expert
Menteith Consulting Ltd
XML, XSL and XSLT consulting, programming and training
Registered in Ireland - No. 428599   http://www.menteithconsulting.com
xmlroff XSL Formatter                               http://xmlroff.org
xslide Emacs mode                  http://www.menteith.com/wiki/xslide
Unicode: A Primer                               urn:isbn:0-7645-4625-2

[1] http://www.jetbrains.com/teamcity/buy/buy.jsp#openSource
[2] http://xmlroff.org/wiki/TestingModule