Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] docbook testing

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:14 AM, Stefan Seefeld <seefeld@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> 1) Run different XSLT processors / configurations on the various stylesheet
> sets ((X)HTML, FO, man, etc.) and make sure they don't fail.

Smoketests for xsltproc and saxon are now part of the release process.

> 2) validate the output for syntactical correctness (xmllint without
> validation for XML output, say)

This seems like an easy one, yes.

> 3) validate against document types, if applicable (xmllint with validation,
> etc.)

Sadly, is only reasonable for *HTML outputs, but yes.

> 4) validate final output by visually inspecting it.

I think there's 3.5 in here: find a few pieces of text that *must* be
in the output and search for them. This is a technique web developers
use for automated testing. "I really need to look at this visually at
some point, but if my catalog page doesn't include the text 'buy it
now', it's broke."

> But even if you only do (1) you already catch those errors that made the
> 1.74.1 release a failure.

Yes, those have been added (technically those were what made 1.74.2 a
failure, whereas 1.74.1 was a "failure" because I had XSLTHL installed
whereas others didn't).

> And *please* make sure the testing procedure you implement is applicable by
> ordinary people (e.g., doesn't involve commercial tools), as that will
> increase chances that contributors will run it, too.

Please see how far you can get through
https://docbook.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/docbook/trunk/xsl/README.BUILD
(there are no commercial tools necessary).

Keith