Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Title incorrect for figures in appendix

OK, it is indeed a bug in the stylesheet.  Your test case was for a figure
inside an appendix inside an article inside a book.  The template for
generating the label didn't handle that case properly.  This template in a
customization layer should fix your problem.  I'll check in this fix when I
get a chance.

    <xsl:template match="d:figure|d:table|d:example" mode="label.markup">
        <xsl:variable name="pchap"
            select="(ancestor::d:chapter
            |ancestor::d:appendix
            |ancestor::d:article[ancestor::d:book])[last()]"/>

        <xsl:variable name="prefix">
            <xsl:if test="count($pchap) &gt; 0">
                <xsl:apply-templates select="$pchap" mode="label.markup"/>
            </xsl:if>
        </xsl:variable>

        <xsl:choose>
            <xsl:when test="@label">
                <xsl:value-of select="@label"/>
            </xsl:when>
            <xsl:otherwise>
                <xsl:choose>
                    <xsl:when test="$prefix != ''">
                        <xsl:apply-templates select="$pchap"
mode="label.markup"/>
                        <xsl:apply-templates select="$pchap"
mode="intralabel.punctuation"/>
                        <xsl:number format="1" from="d:chapter|d:appendix"
level="any"/>
                    </xsl:when>
                    <xsl:otherwise>
                        <xsl:number format="1" from="d:book|d:article"
level="any"/>
                    </xsl:otherwise>
                </xsl:choose>
            </xsl:otherwise>
        </xsl:choose>
    </xsl:template>

The difference is just the select attribute for "pchap". Before, it was
selecting both the appendix and article nodes, when it should only be
selecting  a single node, the closest ancestor.  The parens and predicate
fixes that.