Subject: Re: [docbook] better internationalization issues again

Hi,
The standards (1.0 and 2.0) say the value of the encoding attribute must be
a string:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt#output

That should exclude the use of attribute value templates for encoding.  I
don't see any mention in the Saxon doc about an extension that would handle
AVT. Exactly how did you use a variable that worked?

From: <Cavicchio_Rob@emc.com>
To: <bobs@sagehill.net>; <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>;
<alsadi@gmail.com>
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 7:30 AM

Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net] wrote:

> The encoding attribute of an xsl:output element cannot
> contain a variable
> reference (a limitation of the XSLT standard, not DocBook),
> so it cannot use
> $chunker.output.encoding.

Are you sure about that? I have created a stylesheet where I use a
variable for the value of the "encoding" attribute and it works fine
(using Saxon 9). Where in the XSLT specification is that prohibited? I
don't see it.

Saxon 6 seems to output only UTF regardless of the encoding I specify,
but with Saxon 9 I'm able to create files using any encoding. I haven't
specifically tried with any other XSLT processors.

*************************
Rob Cavicchio
Principal Technical Writer
EMC Captiva
EMC Corporation
10145 Pacific Heights Boulevard, 6th Floor
San Diego, CA 92121-4234

P: (858) 320-1208
F: (858) 320-1010
E: Cavicchio_Rob@emc.com

The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions. Content published
here is not read or approved in advance by EMC and does not necessarily
reflect the views and opinions of EMC.