Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Producing Open Source Software

On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 16:42, DavePawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> wrote:
> Richard Quadling wrote:
>
>> The same tools are now also building the PEAR documentation (PEAR -
>> PHP Extension and Application Repository pear.php.net).
>>
>> Same tools and 2 significant DocBook projects. All done in a fraction
>> of the time it took for the OpenJade tools.
>
> Have you tried building with XSLT? Comparison with OpenJade is
> hardly valid today Richard?

The PHP documentation have been using docbook for a while.
In the early days DSSSL was used, and then we moved over to XSLT few years ago.

DocBook-XSL wasn't quite working out for us, and our modifications
didn't improve performance :)
It took us several *hours* to render into html.

> You don't describe the transformation tools you use, just 'use PHP'?
> How do you use PHP to get from docbook  XML to say, PDF?

PhD ("PHP based Docbook renderer") uses the XMLReader interface of
libxml2 to read the XML - so it has many obvious drawbacks, but its
also the reason why its so blazing fast. Its a very simple tool and in
reality all it does is map an XML element to PHP method.

The PDF output format works just like the other ones, except rather
then pure string writing we use the haru PHP extension, which uses the
libharu library.

-Hannes