Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Always proportionally scale imagedata to page.

On Mar 26, 2009, at 01:46, Bob Stayton wrote:

> Hi David,
> I think I understand what you want, but I need one clarification.
> This combination:
>
>> scalefit="1"
>> width="100%"
>> contentdepth="100%"
>
> does not have the effect that you want.
> <snip/>
> I think you intended:
>
> scalefit="1"
> width="100%"
> depth="100%"
>
> This sets the viewport to the maximum available size, and scales up
> the image until it bumps into one of the edges of the viewport.

Cool, thanks.

> But I'm not clear what you mean by the "largest size on the page".
> Does that mean for an image which is taller than it is wide, that it
> should scale to fit the remaining vertical space on the page (which
> might be quite small)?

Hmmm.  I hadn't considered this, but that would be useful in a number
of cases.

> Or perhaps the largest size on a new page (which may require a
> forced page break to get the largest vertical space available)?

I think what you provided earlier is what I'm after. Basically, max
viewport, scale proportionally until the image meets an edge.

> Regarding the customization process, you pretty much have to
> customize the process.image template.  This requires understanding
> the sequence of how the DocBook scaling attributes are massaged into
> the FO scaling attributes. Some attributes take precedence over
> others, so they interact a bit and it gets a little complicated.

So I saw when perusing process.image.

> Being able to specify default values for some of the attributes
> would be a nice feature request.

Good idea.... done. 2714716.

> If you can add a preprocessing XSLT step, you could process with an
> identity stylesheet that just adds the attributes you want to
> imagedata (with logic to add them only if no overrides present).
> Then you don't have to mess with process.image.

Thanks for the advice. I may look at this after I get my current doc
done -- it's a business plan for a loan, so I want to finish it as
rapidly as possible. ;)

-David