Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] ePub with Chinese character

Hi,

I don't know that you'd get better results with Chinese EPUBs, but Digital
Editions 1.7 pays attention to the xml:lang attribute, and font rendering
is, sometimes, affected, so you may bet better results when the language is
identified.

As to font license issues...

Well, there's some information online that should help you in knowing what's
appropriate and what is not. We have a guideline, ok, it's for embedding
fonts in PDF not EPUB, but it does cover the basics of font embedding and
the permissions set within the font:

www.adobe.com/devnet/acrobat/pdfs/FontPolicies.pdf

There's also an approach to protecting the fonts that is covered in the
following document:

http://www.idpf.org/doc_library/informationaldocs/FontManglingSpec.html

With InDesign we make sure that we are following the font permissions and we
protect the fonts.

Of course, I don't think anyone has implemented the font mangling in a
DocBook tool chain, but the font protection isn't really all that difficult.

Oh, and ADE 1.7 supports that font protection, so between that and
EPUBCheck, you'd have some things to test against.

HTH

Paul