Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Strange slowdown in stylesheets

I found a good article on the Debian update-alternatives command as regards Java versions:

http://blog.stevenkroon.com/2006/08/29/debian-update-alternatives/

-----Original Message-----
From: Dick Hamilton [mailto:rlhamilton@frii.com]
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2009 2:10 PM
To: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [docbook-apps] Strange slowdown in stylesheets

I just moved my environment from SuSE to Ubuntu, and have
generally been very pleased with the change.

However, after the move, my DocBook stylesheet builds are
taking significantly longer to run than they used to, even
though I'm running on the same hardware and software.

At first, I thought I might have messed up the catalog
settings and caused Saxon to go out to the web for schemas,
etc, but I see no network traffic during a build. Instead,
what I see is one cpu pegged at 100% and the other idling
along at 25%.

Here is the environment:

AMD 64 dual core, running Ubuntu 2.6.27-11, Saxon 6.5.3,
Java 1.5.0., 1.74.2 stylesheets.

Has anyone run into anything like this before or have any
suggestions on where to look for possible problems?

Best Regards,
Dick Hamilton
XML Press
XML for Technical Communicators