Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Formatting of refsynopsisdiv section in manpages broken with 1.74.3

Am 26.04.2009 um 06:07 schrieb Michael(tm) Smith:

> Ralph Bö嚠me <ralph@rsrc.de>, 2009-04-23 12:47 +0200:
>
>> Hi list,
>>
>> I'm using xsltproc with manpages/docbook.xsl xsl stylesheet from
>> create man pages for the OS project netatalk.
>> Inbetween 1.71 and 1.74.3 the output has changed: I'm receiving
>> warnings on
>> Debian 4 man and mis-formatting on all platforms where I've tested
>> the
>> manpages.
>
> I'm the maintainer for the manpages stylesheet. Thanks for
> reporting this. I'll try to look into it as soon as possible. But
> if you don't hear back from me within a couple of weeks, please
> feel free to ping me directly to remind me.

In the meantime I've found the cause:
in manpages/inline.xml these lines:

         <!-- * indexterm instances produce groff comments like this:
-->
         <!-- * .\" primary: secondary: tertiary -->
         <xsl:template match="indexterm">
           <xsl:text>.\" </xsl:text>
           <xsl:apply-templates/>
           <xsl:text>&#10;</xsl:text>
         </xsl:template>

         <xsl:template match="primary">
           <xsl:value-of select="normalize-space(.)"/>
         </xsl:template>

         <xsl:template match="secondary|tertiary">
           <xsl:text>: </xsl:text>
           <xsl:value-of select="normalize-space(.)"/>
         </xsl:template>

It has at least two problems:
o .\" doesnt force a newline _before_ .\", so in my case it start in
the middle
   of a line which is not legal afaict
o the formatting flow is still broken after inserting another &#10;
before .\"

After removing the entire thing it works as expected.

Regards
-Frank

smime.p7s