Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] DocBook profiles and conditioning potentiallyunmanageable?

We had similar needs.  I looked at using XML profiles but it took more skill than I had.  Our needs were different than support a couple of OSes or languages.  We could not get past making the DTD support the editor.  We were using Epic, and we even had a license for their DTD Editor (Architect).  If we had gotten past the DTD, we still would have had stylesheet issues.

Our solution was to do profiling within the content management system.  We have profiles based on market as well as products.

We have a proprietary content management system that I wrote, which sits on top of a software code management system.  So I had the access to make profiles work.  I don't know if this approach can help you or not.  It did work for us.

-----Original Message-----
From: J. H. Koonce [mailto:ectdocuments@netscape.net]
Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 4:51 AM
To: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org
Subject: [docbook-apps] DocBook profiles and conditioning potentially
unmanageable?

Hi,

At my company we use Docbook 4.5 to produce rather larger documents
chiefly of type 'book' for principal documentation, and 'article' for
ancillary docs. It works fine except that we have OEM documentation as
well as heavy product segmentation (toolkits, add-ons, etc.). We use
conditioning in order to manage doc type’s styles and the above
mentioned segments. Thus we often find using variables and profiles to
'include' images, labels and sections among other things. Because of
our documentation scope, the number of profiles and conditions will
increase; we are sure this will result in a practically unmanageable
volume of product variables.

Does anyone have any suggestions regarding a ‘not include’ or ‘exclude’
XML syntax which will simplify the maintenance of our ever growing
single source?

J.H. Koonce