Subject: Element [...] not allowed in this context

I have a situation where 3 files validate quite nicely as a project in
oXygen (they are a chapter, a sect1, and a glossary), but if I attempt
to validate them as part of a larger, nested project (where there is a
book followed by chapters and then sect1s), I get the following errors
for the chapter:

element "chapter" from namespace "http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; not
allowed in this context -- Cataloging.xml

I see that the glossary and the sect1 appear to be validating...
that's a start. ;)

I pasted the three files below my .sig file and brace myself for the
inevitable n00b learning moment... I do have Stayton's book open to
Chapter 23 as I write this...

| Karen G. Schneider
| Community Librarian
| Equinox Software Inc. "The Evergreen Experts"
| Toll-free: 1.877.Open.ILS (1.877.673.6457) x712
| kgs@esilibrary.com
| Web: http://www.esilibrary.com
| Be a part of the Evergreen International Conference, May 20-22, 2009!
| http://www.lyrasis.org/evergreen

----------------------------

boe.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<book version="5.0" xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";
  xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";>

  <info>
    <title>Evergreen Documentation</title>
    <author>
      <orgname>Evergreen Open Source Library Software</orgname>
    </author>
    <copyright>
      <year>2009</year>
      <holder>The Evergreen Project</holder>
    </copyright>
  </info>

  <xi:include  href="StaffServices/StaffServices.xml"
    xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"; />

  <xi:include  href="TechRef/TechRef.xml"
    xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"; />

</book>

-------------------

StaffServices.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<chapter version="5.0" xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";
  xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2003/XInclude";
  xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";>

    <title>Evergreen Staff Services</title>

  <xi:include  href="Cataloging/Cataloging.xml"
    xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"; />

<para>Add stuff here</para>

</chapter>

Cataloging.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<chapter version="5.0" xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";
    xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2003/XInclude";>

        <title>Evergreen Cataloging</title>

    <xi:include  href="CatalogingIntro.xml"
    xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude"; />

    <xi:include  href="CatalogingGlossary.xml"