Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] xinclude problem - docbook or xmllint?

 From your description, it sounds like the XInclude is failing because
of the incorrect URL.  xmllint thus copies the contents of the
xi:fallback element into the result, meaning that by the time Jing sees
it, you have a <literrallayout> that contains a <para>, which is invalid:

http://www.docbook.org/tdg5/en/html/literallayout.html

(note also that xmllint can handle RelaxNG validation but not the
compact syntax, so you might be able to do it all in one go)

HTH,

AC