Subject: ePub: meta information

What would be the preferred way to add meta information (like
"dc:description",
"dc:identifier", "dc:title", or "dc:language") given that the input file
might not contain the necessary information?

Should I simply override the "opf" template"?

Michael
PS: Some TeX guys asked me about how to convert LaTeX files to ePub.
My suggestion probably will be to use "tex4ht" to convert the source
files to
DocBook and further to ePub using the ePub support in the actual DocBook XSL
stylesheets. A first attempt was very promising, but the converted
DocBook file
doesn't contain the (wanted) meta information.