Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Problems with draft.mode

So my understanding is that the DocBook DTD/Schema and the DocBook
stylesheets are separate things. The DTD/Schema documentation doesn't
make any assumptions about what tool you're using to process your
documents.

Making show.comments depend on draft.mode would make sense. That way you
could have certain chapters or sections that have @status='draft'. For
those chapters/sections, show.comments would be 1. For other, non-draft,
chapters/sections, show.comments would be 0. This should do that:

<xsl:param name="draft.mode" select="'maybe'"/>
<!-- Be sure draft.mode has been declared before now -->
<xsl:param name="show.comments">
 <xsl:choose>
  <xsl:when test="$draft.mode = 'yes'">1</xsl:when>
  <xsl:when test="$draft.mode = 'maybe' and
ancestor-or-self::*[@status][1]/@status = 'draft'">1</xsl:when>
  <xsl:otherwise>0</xsl:otherwise>
 </xsl:choose>
</xsl:param>

To get that to be considered as the default behavior, log a request at
sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=21935&atid=373747

David