Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] html pass thru

Bob,
    I am looking at chap 11 -- HTML customizations section on Inserting HTML code in the page content -- If it helps I am using the 3rd edition of your book.  By the way, thanks for putting the effort into the book, very very useful.

    Anyway here is the the offending line of html code.  Its a link to a product on amazon.com and was supplied by amazon.  The transformation engine does not like the &tag saying it needs to end with a semicolon.

    I was hoping to just escape the html and let it pass thru but I am also interested in how to fix the html -- if that is easier

thanks
Eric
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, July 26, 2009 12:34 AM

Hi Eric,
I presume you mean Chapter 12, HTML Customizations.  I think the section you are referring to needs some clarification.

I'm not sure, but I don't think POST has anything to do with the problem.  Most likely the input is not well-formed XML.

In order for an XSLT processor to xsl:copy any content, that content must be well-formed XML, and typical HTML is not well-formed XML. If the content has HTML markup, then simply wrapping the content in an element does not make it well-formed.  That only applies if the content is text such as Javascript.  The third paragraph in this section mentions that any HTML markup must be well-formed markup:

The xsl:output can still be method="html", and the processor will convert your well-formed XML back into plain HTML.

If that still doesn't work, then post an example.