Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] docbook 4.5 install. Woefully hard?

Quoting Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk>:

> My temptation is to 'start afresh' rather than accept
> an existing install on Linux, since it will work
> from windows and the user will know where stuff is kept!

Instructions like these would sure be appreciated by many, as long as
someone has time enough to keep them updated. I still have such a set
of instructions for Windows online
(http://www.mhoenicka.de/software/sgml/sgmlnt.html), but I'm afraid
the XML part is badly outdated, and I don't have time to fix it
anytime soon.

Would Cygwin be acceptable for your "client"? Cygwin has a fairly
complete toolchain for XML processing, although I'm not sure about the
schema-based DocBook versions. The only thing that remains to be
solved is to take the guesswork out of the installation. Wouldn't it
be possible to nudge common package systems, like Linux distros and
Cygwin, into providing a basic DocBook processing meta package which
simply installs the essential pieces? It should then be easier to go
from there if someone doesn't like xsltproc and wants a Java-based
processor and so on.

regards,
Markus

--