Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Graphic formats for screenshots

Karen
It really depends on the content of your images. The images can be scaled in Docbook for print & display but those two methods should have very different size ratios (i.e.an online image is usually lower DPI than what is used in print). This matters in the time to load web pages and also the time to download a PDF or Word file.

We have found that most of our images work best as PNG formated. However, there are a few times where JPG is probably better (i.e some scaled screenshots look better as JPG). Most IEs handle PNGs fine now. In the past I have stayed away from GIFs because I really try to stay with only one or two common formats.

Regards,
Dean Nelson