Subject: Which major mode in emacs?

I'm trying to find an emacs major mode implementation for editing Docbook
documents which handles autoindentation the way I like it. I don't think
that my preferences are unusual, but rather straightforward: Tab, or "M-x
indent-region" should autoindent text in contexts where whitespace does not
matter, and leave it alone in <literallayout> or <programlisting>, where
whitespace matters. This means that the major mode needs to be DTD aware.

I tried nxml first. nxml looks nice, but it indents everything. After I
reindent a large block of text, I always have to go back and undo all the
added whitespace in every <programlisting>.

Then, I installed psgml. psgml seems to indent XML tags only, and does not
autoindent any text. Within <para>, whitespace does not matter, but psgml
leaves it alone.

Any other suggestions?

PGP signature