Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] Re: olink element question

> I think you are calling the id attribute of the root element of each file
> the "document id", but that isn't an official XML term.  It just means the
> id of the document's root element.

Ok -- I'm not as clear on this as I thought.

In the following, can the xml:id function as the document id (without
any additional declaration)? And therefore if this is in a book called
book1 (xml:id book1), can it link to a file called graphics.xml
(xml:id graphics) in book2 (<olink targetdoc="Book2"
targetptr="graphics">use a graphic</olink>?

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<chapter xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook";
xmlns:xi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XInclude";
  xmlns:xl="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink"; version="5.0" xml:id="filenames">
  <title>File Structure and Filenames</title>

> Perhaps "assembly" is a better term for the larger document that is
> assembled for release as a unit.   The targetdoc name is are associated with
> such an assembly when dealing with modular content.

That would help disambiguate things... methinks!