Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Pasting footnotes from DocBook-generated HTMLinto OpenOffice

That's interesting.  I tried it on Ubuntu Linux with OpenOffice 2.4.1 and
it worked, opening my sample DocBook file as a word-processing document.
When I tried on my Windows XP system, with OO 2.3.1 (what was installed
there -- I don't use Windows very much and haven't kept it up to date),
I had the same result as you did.  Not sure if it is the version, the
platform, or differences between the Windows and Linux environments.  I
had actually used OpenOffice to convert from MS Word to DocBook (with a
bit of fixing up afterward, but still a lot faster than cutting and
pasting between documents) and had noticed this feature described while
I was researching how to do the conversions.  I guess I didn't test
enough before recommending it.

Trying to move from a Word dominated environment to DocBook (or any real
structured environment) is tough, and the round-trip problem is a big one.
Bob Stayton actually worked on a set of transforms to go from DocBook to
WordML and back.  It is in the SourceForge stylesheets.  Bob discusses
DocBook and Microsoft Word on his excellent site at:

  http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/MSWord.html

The transforms apparently support a subset of the DocBook elements.  He
also mentions some other approaches.

Regards,
Larry