Subject: Building UTF-8 pdfs.

I created a bare-bones DocBook xml file that contains:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.5//EN" "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd";>

<article>
<articleinfo>
    <title>Unicode blocks</title>
</articleinfo>
<section id="_cjk">
<title>CJK</title>
<para>Some CJK:</para>
<para>
㺀   㺁   㺂   㺃   㺄   㺅   㺆   㺇   㺈   㺉   㺊   㺋   㺌   㺍   㺎
㺏   㺐   㺑   㺒   㺓   㺔   㺕   㺖   㺗   㺘   㺙   㺚   㺛   㺜   㺝
㺞   㺟   㺠   㺡   㺢   㺣   㺤   㺥   㺦   㺧   㺨   㺩   㺪   㺫   㺬
㺭   㺮   㺯   㺰   㺱   㺲   㺳   㺴   㺵   㺶   㺷   㺸   㺹   㺺   㺻
㺼   㺽   㺾   㺿   㻀   㻁   㻂   㻃   㻄   㻅   㻆   㻇   㻈   㻉   㻊
㻋   㻌   㻍   㻎   㻏   㻐   㻑   㻒   㻓   㻔   㻕   㻖   㻗   㻘   㻙
</para>
</section>
</article>

I have tried building a pdf with this command:

$ dblatex -v -b xetex cjk0.xml
dblatex version 0.2.9-3
Build the listings...
XSLT stylesheets DocBook -  LaTeX 2e (0.2.9-3)
Build cjk0.pdf
This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996-patch2 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode

** WARNING ** This .map file looks like a dvips format fontmap file.
** WARNING ** -- Current input buffer is: bchb8r CharterBT-Bold "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <bchb8a.pfb
** WARNING ** -- Reading fontmap file stopped at: file="pdftex.map", line=6.
This is XeTeXk, Version 3.141592-2.2-0.996-patch2 (Web2C 7.5.6)
 %&-line parsing enabled.
entering extended mode

** WARNING ** This .map file looks like a dvips format fontmap file.
** WARNING ** -- Current input buffer is: bchb8r CharterBT-Bold "TeXBase1Encoding ReEncodeFont" <8r.enc <bchb8a.pfb
** WARNING ** -- Reading fontmap file stopped at: file="pdftex.map", line=6.
'cjk0.pdf' successfully built

There are no catastrophic errors and the cjk0.pdf is built, but when I
use evince or xpdf to visualize, all I see is the dreaded empty
rectangles.

I was under the impression that xetex used fontconfig and I do have at
least one font installed that has the corresponding glyphs but it looks
like I need to tell dblatex/xetex where to look for it.

I haven't seen anything in the doc that appears to deal with fonts, so
maybe there is a configuration file that I need to modify, but I have no
idea what it might be.

I did find a file at /usr/share/texmf-live/fonts/map/pdftex/ called
pdftex.map that lists what looks like a very large number of fonts, but
none looked familiar.

I also tried xmlto/xsltproc with identical results.

Also, this happens on a debian/lenny system and there is always a
chance that the packages that are installed are not current.

Thanks,

CJ