Subject: =?iso-8859-15?Q?Re:_[docbook-apps]_validating_and_transforming_a_simpl?==?iso-8859-15?Q?e_docbook5_file_in_fedora_linux?=

Hi Robert,

>  [... intro pruned ...]
>
>   first, here's my incredibly trivial test.db5:
>
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <book xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; version="5.0">
>   <info>
>       <title>My book title</title>
>       <subtitle>My subtitle</subtitle>
>   </info>
> </book>
>
> so far, so good?

It seems valid. :-)

>  and, based on my reading so far (just getting
> started), there's nothing i can add to associate that file with a
> particular relaxng schema is there?  equivalent to a DTD
> specification?

Right, there is no DOCTYPE,  namespace, or anything similar for
RELAX NG.
Some tools insert a processing instruction (like the oXygen XML
editor) but as far as I know, it is not a common procedure.

>   next, i can dig into my docbook5-schemas package to see the files:
> /usr/share/xml/docbook5/schema/rng
> /usr/share/xml/docbook5/schema/rng/5.0
> /usr/share/xml/docbook5/schema/rng/5.0/catalog.xml
> /usr/share/xml/docbook5/schema/rng/5.0/docbook.rnc
> /usr/share/xml/docbook5/schema/rng/5.0/docbook.rng
> /usr/share/xml/docbook5/schema/rng/5.0/docbookxi.rnc
> /usr/share/xml/docbook5/schema/rng/5.0/docbookxi.rng
>
>   if i just want to validate that file against the relaxng schema with
> xmllint, i have to *explicitly* list the schema file as follows,
> correct?

Yes, that's correct.

> $ xmllint --relaxng /usr/share/xml/docbook5/schema/rng/5.0/docbook.rng test.db5
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
> <book xmlns="http://docbook.org/ns/docbook"; version="5.0">
>   <info>
>       <title>My book title</title>
>       <subtitle>My subtitle</subtitle>
>   </info>
> </book>
> test.db5 validates

I'm not sure about the RELAX NG support in xmllint. Last time I
tried to validate a DocBook5 document with xmllint I had some
problems. Maybe your file is a very simple case for xmllint.

For this reason, check your documents with Jing too.

>   any shortcuts for that?  as in (like i asked before) incorporating a
> reference to the schema in the file itself?

Not that I'm aware of any. (Of course, you can always "invent" some
magic with processing instruction or the like, but I skip this.)

>   and finally, to generate the HTML, i can use the handy-dandy "xmlto"
> utility but i have to explicitly skip validation since the underlying
> xsltproc program that will be called can't validate relaxng.
>
> [...]

I would call/run xsltproc directly.

>   and that seems to work.  so, to summarize (and let me know if i'm
> out to lunch here):
>
> 1) my test.db5 file is an adequate example of docbook5 input.

Yes, it's correct.

> 2) if i want to validate against a relaxng schema with xmllint, i
> *must* explicitly do it as i did above, since db5 doesn't support(?)
> adding an internal reference to that kind of schema, correct?

It is not DocBook5, it is a "concept" from RELAX NG.

> 3) at this time, actual processing utilities may not have relaxng
> support so it's wise to separate the validation step from the
> processing step, as i did above.

With "processing step" you mean transformation?
In that case, it is not a matter of wise or not.  Normally you do
(or should do) always validation and after this step, you transform
your document. A tool could combine these steps (and some actually do),
but internally, it works this way (first validation, second transformation).

>   any comments on the above?  simplifications?  blatant oversights?

It makes sense. :) I would recommend to write a Makefile to simplify
your tasks. Normally this makes it easier: you don't have to memorize
all the command line tools and options. ;)

> p.s.  for no good reason, i want to clarify these steps so i can write
> a one-page wiki entry on how to get started playing with docbook5 on
> fedora linux.

Sounds good. :-)

Tom