Subject: Frames like HTML view of TOC and document

I'm new to the list, but a longtime (closet?) DocBook user.  For a
number of years one of the customizations that I've maintained is a
script and javascript that permits a DocBook document to be viewed in
a frames environment with the table of contents on the side, and the
document next to it:

  1. Intro          |  The main part of the document goes here
    1.1 bla         |  and on and on.
  2. Good stuff     |
   + hidden toc part|  Etc.

Having the toc always visible certainly makes navigating the document
more pleasant.  The toc can have sections collapse and expand etc.
Looks very nice, but HTML frames implementation is undesirable.  I
started looking at converting my frames to CSS, but there are lots of
issues:

  1. Resizing browser frames is handled by the browser, CSS requires
     javascript.
  2. CSS cross browser vagaries
  3. The DocBook HTML structure is causing my css some gas.
  4. etc.

I started looking at various javascript frameworks to get the job
done, then decided I should find out if someone has done something
like what I'm attempting.  I didn't find anything, so I'm asking.

Anyone have something that provides good TOC navigation aids for
DocBook documents viewed as HTML?  Any better/ alternative ideas?

Aaron.