Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Error while trying to put together a documentwith xsltproc

A DOCTYPE declaration in XML requires a system value, and yours does not appear to have one.

The declaration should look more like this:

<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.4//EN"
"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.4/docbookx.dtd";[
  <!ENTITY cereals "<productname>Frobozz Cerals</productname>">
  <!ENTITY orange-juice "<productname>Hourmade Orange Juice</productname>">
]>

Regards,
Larry Rowland

________________________________

From: Yves S. Garret [mailto:yoursurrogategod@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 09, 2009 8:49 PM
To: docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi :) .  I'm a docbook n00b.  Just getting my feet wet here.  I configured my mac mini to compile docbook xml files.  I got the information on how to configure it from this site:

http://www.working-software.com/node/18

I was looking at the below tutorial.

http://opensource.bureau-cornavin.com/crash-course/en/declaration.html#shared-text

I'm a little confused why it's not working.  The error message isn't really telling me anything specific (again, new to this stuff :) ).

Command line:

% xsltproc --output my_content.fo $XSL/fo/docbook.xsl my_content.xml
my_content.xml:2: parser error : SystemLiteral " or ' expected
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.4//EN" [
^
my_content.xml:2: parser error : SYSTEM or PUBLIC, the URI is missing
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.4//EN" [
^
my_content.xml:9: parser error : Entity 'cereals' not defined
Marketing study about &cereals;
^
my_content.xml:17: parser error : Entity 'cereals' not defined
This study describes the expected impact of the new &cereals; product,
^
my_content.xml:19: parser error : Entity 'orange-juice' not defined
the &orange-juice;.
^
unable to parse my_content.xml

Here's the file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE book PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.4//EN" [
  <!ENTITY cereals "<productname>Frobozz Cerals</productname>">
  <!ENTITY orange-juice "<productname>Hourmade Orange Juice</productname>">
]>
<book id="marketing-study" lang="en">
  <bookinfo>
   <title>
    Marketing study about &cereals;
   </title>
  </bookinfo>
  <chapter id="introduction">
   <title>
    Introduction
   </title>
   <para>
    This study describes the expected impact of the new &cereals; product,
    and examines the opportunity of an advertising campain combined with
    the &orange-juice;.
   </para>
 </chapter>
</book>

If this is the wrong forum, sorry.  If there is a better place suited to answer this question (especially for those that are new to this), please point me in the right direction.