Subject: Re: [docbook] DocBook and Google Summer of Code ?

On Wednesday 16 Dec 2009 15:28:56 Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> All,
>
> Google is sponsoring each year many organizations to allow students to
> contribute to free software projects over the summer. This is known as
> the "Google Summer of Code".
> Such organizations would apply to become a "mentoring organization",
> sometime in early March. Being a mentoring organization means to provide
> project ideas, as well as mentors who would help the student(s) over the
> summer keep in touch with the community, as well as make progress on the
> project.
>
> I have been a mentor for different projects and mentoring organizations
> in the past (notably, the Python Software Foundation and Boost.org), and
> I know firsthand what a great way to help advance a project this is, as
> well as allow students to get involved with Free Software.
>
> I have been wondering whether there was any interest in the DocBook
> community to apply to become a GSoC mentoring organization, too. I can
> see many projects that are doable in such a context (I have a couple of
> specific ideas that I would very much like to see realized, and I think
> GSoC would be an ideal framework for this).
>
> Before diving into such details, I'd just like to ask for feedback about
> the general idea. What do you think ?

Sounds good to me,  but until now I've only been a DocBook/XML end-user - not
an active developer (though I've reported and triaged a few bugs). I've also
been active to some extent in the Perl GSoC.

Regards,

	Shlomi Fish

> (For details about the program, see
> http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/program/google/gsoc2009/faqs)
>
> Thanks,
>          Stefan

My Aphorisms - http://www.shlomifish.org/humour.html

Bzr is slower than Subversion in combination with Sourceforge.
( By: http://dazjorz.com/ )