Subject: Generating PDF from docbook on Linux (OSS)

hi there,

  I am looking for tool that would generate PDF file from a docbook
file. I tried a couple without success:

- forgedp, does not process MathML 2.0 equation at all (no output!),
- publican simply aborts on my machine (*)
- xmlto fails not process MathML 2.0 equation (**),

Document is simply:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V4.5//EN"
"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.5/docbookx.dtd";
[
<!ENTITY % MATHML.prefixed "INCLUDE">
<!ENTITY % MATHML.prefix "mml">
<!ENTITY % equation.content "(alt?, (graphic+|mediaobject+|mml:math))">
<!ENTITY % inlineequation.content
                "(alt?, (inlinegraphic+|inlinemediaobject+|mml:math))">
<!ENTITY % mathml PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD MathML 2.0//EN"
        "http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/mathml2.dtd";>
%mathml;]>
<article>
  <sect1 id="section_Description">
    <title>Description</title>
      <para>
<equation>
<title>My MathML example</title>
<mml:math>
  <mml:mrow>
    <mml:mo>&sum;</mml:mo>
    <mml:mn>4</mml:mn>
    <mml:mo>+</mml:mo>
    <mml:mi>x</mml:mi>
  </mml:mrow>
</mml:math>
</equation>
      </para>
  </sect1>
</article>

Could someone please let me know what are the command line tool that
should be used for this particular example (debian system) ? I am
thinking of a sequence xstlproc then fop, but I did not find any
definitive guide.

Thanks,
--
Mathieu

(*)
(**)
 $ xmlto --with-fop pdf /tmp/math.xml
I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/mathml2.dtd
/tmp/math.xml:12: warning: failed to load external entity
"http://www.w3.org/Math/DTD/mathml2/mathml2.dtd";
%mathml;
        ^
Entity: line 1:
 %mathml;
         ^
/tmp/math.xml:23: namespace error : Namespace prefix mml on math is not defined
<mml:math>
         ^
/tmp/math.xml:24: namespace error : Namespace prefix mml on mrow is not defined
  <mml:mrow>
           ^
/tmp/math.xml:25: namespace error : Namespace prefix mml on mo is not defined
    <mml:mo>&sum;</mml:mo>
           ^
/tmp/math.xml:26: namespace error : Namespace prefix mml on mn is not defined
    <mml:mn>4</mml:mn>
           ^
/tmp/math.xml:27: namespace error : Namespace prefix mml on mo is not defined
    <mml:mo>+</mml:mo>
           ^
/tmp/math.xml:28: namespace error : Namespace prefix mml on mi is not defined
    <mml:mi>x</mml:mi>
           ^
Making portrait pages on letter paper (215.9mmx279.4mm)
math encountered in equation, but no template matches.
mrow encountered in math, but no template matches.
mo encountered in mrow, but no template matches.
mn encountered in mrow, but no template matches.
mo encountered in mrow, but no template matches.
mi encountered in mrow, but no template matches.
Jan 22, 2010 5:19:00 PM org.apache.fop.hyphenation.Hyphenator getHyphenationTree
SEVERE: Couldn't find hyphenation pattern en