Subject: multiple repeats of table rows in HTML output

Hello List,

I am struggling with a problem that cropped up in the HTML output of
docBook articles after a website redesign for increased accessibility.
Being new to docBook, I am finding it difficult to find out what is
going wrong quickly, and am very thankful for any help!

The setup is as follows:
the website is implemented on a university server using Apache, Axkit,
libxml, libxslt, and its informational pages are managed via the
xml-based CMS XIMS, which also has a "vlibrary" module that manages the
library's docBooks.

A customization layer had already been implemented for the docBooks,
mainly to include the website's general layout and to tweak the
titlepage metadata output.
In the course of the redesign, the major change I made was to include
improved <output> instructions (XHTL 1.0 transitional), as the HTML was
full of namespace attributes where they did not belong, and to compact
instructions for the site's layout (previously repeated in every
stylesheet, now largely included from a set of common xsl's). None of
the customizations seem to have to do with tables at all, so docBook
should simply be doing its thing here, I would think.

Now, to the problem:
tables are suddenly being displayed erroneously: with both docBook XSL
1.65.1 and 1.75.2 table rows are getting repeated in a way that looks
like a loop - with the difference that in 1.75.2, instead of displaying
this, a html comment is added in each row saying "This row intentionally
left blank".

Using the 1.65.1 stylesheets, what happens remains visible, thus:
HTML Output via docBook XSL 1.65.1
zur Intelligenzminderung.(Quelle: eigene Darstellung)" border="1">
<colgroup>
<col>
<col>
<col>
<col>
</colgroup>
<tbody>
outputs total of 6 rows
repeat of rows 2-6
repeat of rows 3-6
repeat of rows 4-6
repeat of row 5-6
repeat of row 6
(total rows = 21)
</tbody>
The extra empty table is also created with version 1.75.2.

The docBook  XML for this example looks like this:
<title>Abbildung 1: ICD 10 Diagnosen zur Intelligenzminderung.(Quelle:
eigene Darstellung)</title>
  <tgroup cols="4">
    <colspec colname="c1"/>
    <colspec colname="c2"/>
    <colspec colname="c3"/>
    <colspec colname="c4"/>
    <tbody>
      <row>
          <entry>Leichte Intelligenzminderung (leichte geistige
Behinderung, Debilit&#xE4;t)</entry>
          <entry>IQ 50 - 69</entry>
          <entry>IA 9 -12J.</entry>
      </row>
    </tbody>
  </tgroup>
This happens consistently with every table I have found so far in the
library.

The altered general instructions look like this:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
version="1.0"
                                xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";>

<!-- imports + includes -->
<xsl:import href="/docbook-xsl/html/docbook.xsl"/>
<!-- common layout elements -->
<xsl:import href="xsl_includes/common.xsl"/>
<!-- include titlepage stylesheet generated from templates -->
<xsl:include href="xsl_includes/dbk_default_titlepage.xsl"/>

<xsl:output method="xml"
            encoding="UTF-8"
            media-type="text/html"

doctype-system="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";
            doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
            indent="yes"
            omit-xml-declaration="yes"/>

Does anyone have a clue what could be causing this?

Thank you very much,
Nathalie Sequeira