Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] processing modular docbook

Hi,
You might describe how you are currently processing the 3,000 page doc: which XSLT
processor, which XSL-FO formatter, which versions.  You might get some suggestions for
improvements there.

For modular processing, you can set a "label" attribute on each chapter to the chapter
number. That will override the automatic numbering.  That manual chapter number will
also be used in figure, table, and example numbers in that chapter.

For page numbers, you would need to modify the template named 'initial.page.number' in
fo/pagesetup.xsl so that it accepts a command line parameter. That parameter could
pass in the starting page for each chapter, which would presumably be the previous
chapter's last page number plus one.

You are right that the olink database will handle cross references.  But there is
currently no implementation of page numbers in olinks because of the difficulty of
getting those page numbers from the output.  Are you planning to stitch together the
separate chapter PDFs into a single PDF?  I've not tried that with hot links between
PDF files, so I don't know if those would still work.

Book-level TOC and index are problems I don't have a solution for.  I would instead
concentrate on speeding up the tools to handle the entire document.