Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] processing modular docbook

Hi,
I did leave out some relevant information, sorry. I mentioned the number of pages to give an idea of the size only--I'm using the stylesheets to create chunked xhtml. FWIW, I start with LaTeX source, use the plasTeX processor to create DocBook 5 XML. I do all that on a chapter-by-chapter basis, which doesn't take very long since I can process all the chapters simultaneously.

The next and final step is to produce XHTML from the DocBook intermediate files. I'm doing that on FreeBSD 6.3 using python 2.6 and the lxml-2.2.2 package which, in turn, uses the libxml2.6.30 and libxslt1.1.22 libraries.

I'm pretty new to the customization process, so I may have written some ignorant code. Today I'll be testing and timing--overriding the l10n templates as Stefan suggests, using chunkfast, using no customizations.

I definitely want to follow your suggestion to speed things up to produce the whole document at once instead of chapter by chapter; the main reason I wanted to use DocBook as the intermediate step is to be able to use the stylesheets for creating the final package I need, which will include an xml version of the toc and index, plus the HTMLHelp auxiliary files.

I'll report back what timings I find today. Thanks for responding; it sounds like I may be able to process to html on a chapter-by-chapter basis if I have to, but I haven't reached that point yet.

thanks,
--Tim Arnold