Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] General question about creating docbookdocuments (maybe OT)

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 10:02 +0200, Frank Arensmeier wrote:
> Hi there.

Hi Frank!

> I would like to ask the list members: how do you create docbook-
> compilant XML documents? What does your workflow looks like so to say?
> Do you write XML files in a XML editor? A web interface? My apologies
> if this is slightly off topic.

I've been writing documentation in DocBook for five or six years now.
Over that time, I've worked with (and even created a few) different
toolchains to get quickly started with new DocBook documents and easily
get through the work of translation and publication.

Here are the tools that I currently use, in no particular order.

First, I use the Publican toolchain, which you can get from
http://www.fedorahosted.org/publican/.  It is an open-source toolchain
that was originally written by Red Hat for their technical
documentation.  It allows you to quickly create new DocBook documents
(books, articles, sets) and publish various versions (html, html-single,
PDF, ePub, etc.) using custom branding (controlled with XSL
stylesheets).

Second, I keep all of my documents in a revision control system,
typically either in Subversion or Git.  This allows you to keep track of
who changed what and when, and even create different branches of your
documentation.

Last but not least, I use Transifex (http://ww.transifex.org) for all my
translation needs.  This way, the translators don't have to worry about
how to interact with your revision control system or even have direct
access to the DocBook source.  They can use whatever tools they're most
comfortable, and Transifex submits the translations back to your
revision control system, or as patches.

As always, your mileage may vary.  Just because it works well for me
doesn't mean it's a perfect fit for you.

--
Jared Smith