Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] General question about creating docbook documents (maybe OT)

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 6:38 PM, Frank Arensmeier <frank@nikemedia.se> wrote:
> Hello Mathieu.
>
> So it seems that you have to deal with more or less highly skilled
> programmers then, not "average endusers", right? One big problem for my part
> was that most of the more common workflow outlines I found on the net were
> incorporating e.g. Oxygen or similar editors. Because we needed a tool that
> even users with only limited IT knowledge could use without too much
> trouble, those workflows where just too complicated.

The dev team was actually used to write HTML documentation so the move
to XML was pretty much painless. But I do agree those people are
'geeks', and even some use bépo (french dvorak) to write in UTF-8 :)

> Docbook in combination with XSL-FO is a great thing. But it seems to me that
> there is a gap to fill for user friendly authoring systems.

Again I have very little experience. I am hoping that people will just
mimics or simply copy-paste complicated docbook chunks. I only ask
people to write documentation that pass xmllint validation. A nightly
cron-job rebuilds the documentation to check the layout was actually
correct.

2cts
--
Mathieu