Subject: RE: [docbook-apps] Annotating program listings - Callouts - Chapter 27. Program listings - minor / nit typo ?

Yesterday I asked a C language guru and he said that & has nothing to do w/ C.

I think that there are 2 possibilities

1) The "&" has not been properly escaped from the DocBook perspective. This is a possibility because the program listing is not in CDATA

2) It could be an HTML thing

http://htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/entities/special.html

Perhaps there are other possibilities ?

 -----Original Message-----
From: Bob Stayton [mailto:bobs@sagehill.net]
Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2010 4:40 PM
To: Robert Lucente; docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org

Hi Robert,
Thanks for taking the time to comment.  No, it isn't a typo.  The programlisting is not in a CDATA section, so any XML characters like & must be escaped as character entities.  That character is intended to be a literal ampersand in the program listing.

If you are asking me if the code itself makes sense with an ampersand, I can't answer that.  I just cut and pasted it from somewhere.  8^)